Before hiring a company to install an evaporative cooler, ask these questions:
- How many years has the company been in business?
- Is there a rebate available from utility provider for a new evaporative cooler?
- How many evaporative coolers does the company install each year?
- Does the company have liability insurance? (Ask to see a copy of the policy.)
- Does the company possess a contractor’s license from the city?
- Are the installers on staff trained in HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), or are they contract workers?
- How many vents inside the house will be connected to the cooler? (Multiple vents may mean a decent rebate from your energy provider.)
- How does the company estimate the size of the cooler, relative to the size of your home or business?
Is your house or business a historic landmark? If so, that means extra paperwork and a Landmark Preservation review. Don’t go down a rabbit hole of unknown expenses.